Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Misfit {review)




Title: Misfit
Author: Jon Skovron
Publisher: Abrams
Available: Now
Genre: YA Paranormal
Source: NetGalley

About the book:


Jael always knew she wasn't like the other kids. Hr mom was a demon and her dad, a priest. She thought maybe they could finally stay in one place, but then she turned 16 and learned the truth. She was 1/2 demon herself, well as her mom liked to say all demon and all human. To another world she was trouble. She had to fight for her life and others with the help of her fingers crossed, hoped to be boyfriend and Uncle Dagon (who she never met before she learned the secret).







My take:



After I finished it I had no clue as to if I liked it or really hated it. Besides the awkwardness of reading in whatever tense it happened to be in at the moment, there were some randomness in the storyline that didn't make sense or made the heroine look completely stupid. However...I couldn't stop reading it, not because it was a train wreck waiting to happen, because I really liked the whole storyline. The heaven and hell concept was a little strange, but because I knew this was a book of fiction, I was okay with the concept. I did enjoy the 'history' lessons and the family dynamics were quite the interesting read. I can see this as a series, because it left off that way..but maybe a prequel with her parents' story might soften the awkwardness of the reading. I will recommend this book for those that like the paranormal/horror genre and for older teens and up and like some other reviews have stated....the first few pages are slow, but it will pick up!







4 thumbs...







I was given a copy of this book by the publisher through netgalley for no compensation except my honest opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment